The Whisper of the Stones is a set of soft sculptures inspired by historic tales of a small island off the southeastern coast of Taiwan.
This group of soft sculptures incorporates quilting, screen printing, hand embroidery, and other techniques. The strings of numbers on the pieces represent geographical coordinates. The records were sourced from the collection catalogue of the herbarium at the Institute of Botany, Academia Sinica, and refer to the locations where, in 1978, botanists found precious specimens of Phalaenopsisin Yeyou Village, on the way towards Hsiangai Mountain.
In 1879, the white Phalaenopsis was discovered and collected for the first time on the island. Its elegant and delicate appearance soon made it a favourite collectible among the rich and powerful in Taiwan. In 1947, it became an instant hit by winning an award at a Japanese flora expo. As a result, the Taiwanese government renamed the island Lanyu, meaning Orchid Island. Yet, with the overharvesting that was to take place in the following years, the indigenous species soon vanished from the island, leaving it with all but a name.
The Whisper of Stones tells the story of how man's obsession with nature's beauty results in its disappearance. Covered in soft fabric, quietly murmuring tender softness, yet unable to erase the imprint of history.
＜ The Whisper of the Stones 石のささやき声 ＞
1879年、白花胡蝶蘭（The White Phalaenopsis）が初めて蘭嶼（らんしょ）で採集されました。その後、数年のうちに、人の過剰な採集によって在来種がだんだん蘭嶼から姿を消し、蘭嶼という名前だけが残されました。